Organic living encompasses everything from going green and eating organic foods to making choices that reflect eco-friendly and sustainable values, to conservation and supporting the community by buying natural products. Red Pipe Cafe is one such establishment in Forest Hills.
While cafes are a dime a dozen, Red Pipe Cafe is one of very few earth friendly, vegan and organic cafes in Queens. Located on Austin Street, right in the heart of Forest Hills, the cafe offers a calm environment for vegans, pescetarians and meatatarians a place to sit and enjoy a cup of coffee or tea with friends. Their organic coffee is from Counter Culture Coffee. Freshly roasted Counter Culture Coffee beans are available for sale in the cafe.
Learn more about Red Pipe Cafe by following their Facebook page and read the Q and A that we sent to Rene, owner of Red Pipe Cafe:
1. Could you please tell our readers when Red Pipe Cafe started and why the owner(s) chose Forest Hills for a cafe?
I started the cafe because I felt there was a need for a healthy eatery. My establishment is earth friendly and people friendly.
2. How is Red Pipe Cafe different from other cafes in Forest Hills?
My cafe is mostly vegan and completely organic.
3. A customer wrote on Yelp:
They have live music a few days a week, as well as poetry readings every Tuesday night! A great place to hang out with friends, or just for some quiet thinking by yourself.
Do you still have poetry readings every Tuesday night and what days/nights are the live music performances?
We had to stop the live music in the cafe due to a licensing issue, which we tried to raise money for. Unfortunately, not enough was contributed.
4. What type of food does Red Pipe Cafe serve?
The Red Pipe Cafe serves mostly vegan and organic food. Vegetable sandwiches, salads, pastries, and our coffee is very popular.
5. What are Red Pipe Cafe’s top three best sellers in sandwiches?
The Reuben, Hempseed Avocado, and the Pastrami sandwiches.
6. We read that Red Pipe Cafe will be hosting weekly romantic movie nights from 7 to 9 PM. Why did you decide to host these movie nights?
We began hosting movie nights because I have a deep love for classic films. I wanted to create a sort of a “film club” that people can enjoy.
7. How has the Forest Hills neighborhood changed since you’ve been here? What would you suggest to make this community even better?
People love our community-oriented cafe. A not-for-profit organization called the Genesis Society helps provide a venue for local artists. We would like to continue spreading that trend.
Additional information: Red Pipe Cafe